Cycling in Munich

Cycling in the big city was so fun but I think the only thing that made it a fun experience for me was that fact that there was such good biking infrastructure (compared to Cincinnati), which could still use some improvement. I didn’t know the city to well, so when I was on my own I had to stop frequently to make sure I was going in the right direction. Besides construction in some areas, it was very easy to follow the signs for bikes, and if I didn’t see a no bike sign then I just hoped into the street when I got confused and was treated like a car, which was amazing. For a little while I just followed a pack of bikes that were riding in the road as if they were cars. Munich is better that Cincinnati for biking because they have so much infrastructure all around the city, even outside the center, like our hotel. I’ve not paid to much attention, but I don’t think I have ever seen bike infrastructure in Cincy. I think what could make Munich better for cycling is more completely separate bike lanes from car lanes. The traffic lights make it annoying since you constantly have to start and stop, and having a completely separate system would alleviate that issue. It would also lessen the chance of an accident between cyclists and motorist. I would very much enjoy riding my bike to work everyday, and I did for a while at a old job that I lived close enough to. As long as there were lots of trees or other structures along the way to keep the sun off on hot days and the lanes were plowed of snow on winter days, then I would gladly ride my bike to work, school, and beyond every day.

Popular posts from this blog

Transport Museum

Introduction

Borough Market